1 C of The Olive Bin's Traditional 18-Year Balsamic Vinegar
2 T brown sugar
2 uncooked bacon strips, chopped
1/2 C butter, softened
1/3 C crumbled goat cheese
2 large portobello mushrooms (8 oz), cubed
2 T + 1/2 C of any of The Olive Bin's Extra Virgin Olive Oils
1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 C + 2 T milk
Portobello Waffles with Goat Cheese Butter & Balsamic Syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon and drippings to a small bowl; cool slightly. Add butter and goat cheese. Beat until blended.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 2 T olive oil until tender; cool slightly. Place 1/4 C mushrooms in a food processor. Cover and process until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, thyme, pepper, and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil, and chopped mushrooms. Add to dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in the cubed mushrooms.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- Serve with goat cheese butter and balsamic syrup.