FOR THE CUPCAKES:
2 medium beets, trimmed
1 C all-purpose flour
2/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 C granulated sugar
1 C of The Olive Bin's Lemon Olive Oil (Fused)
1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1 1/4 C butter, softened
6 C powdered sugar
1 T milk
Chocolate Lemon Beet Cupcakes
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- In large saucepan, cover beets with 2 inches of water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 C beet liquid to use in buttercream frosting (for color). Cool beets slightly. Peel beets, coarsely chop, and place in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth. (You should have 2/3 C beet puree.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin cups with paper baking cups; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, olive oil, and yogurt. Stir in 2/3 C beet puree. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Fill muffin cups half to two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- For buttercream frosting, in medium mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1 C powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in the milk and 2 T reserved beet liquid. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Beat in additional beet liquid, if needed, until frosting reaches piping consistency. Pipe icing onto cupcakes. Cover and store in refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Hy-Vee "seasons" recipe
You can't taste the beets in this cupcake recipe - but they keep the cakes ultra-moist, without adding lots of fat or calories! The liquid also adds a lovely pink color to this buttercream frosting, without affecting the taste!