FOR THE FILLING:
3.5 lbs cherries, pitted
1 1/4 C sugar in the raw
2 T honey
3 T of The Olive Bin's Black Cherry Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 C whole-wheat pastry flour
2 T cornstarch
3 T unsalted butter
FOR THE CRUST:
4 C whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 C + 1 T unsalted butter, cubed
2-3 T ice (chilled) water
1-2 T of The Olive Bin's Fig Balsamic Vinegar
FOR THE GLAZE:
1 egg, whisked
1 T water
Additional sugar in the raw, to taste
Deep-Dish Balsamic Cherry Pie with Whole-Wheat Black Pepper Crust
FOR THE FILLING:
- For the filling, bring all ingredients to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring every few minutes.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and allow mixture to simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. (Be careful to not crush the cherries while stirring.) After 30 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, for the crust, whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Use your fingers to rub the butter together with the flour mixture together until the texture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine ice water and Fig balsamic vinegar together in small bowl. Begin adding water-balsamic mixture to the flour-butter mixture, one tablespoon at a time, until mixture is doughy but not too sticky.
- On a well-floured surface, take 2/3 of the dough and roll into a circular shape, about 1/2" thick. Carefully transfer dough to a lightly greased and floured 8" springform pan. Mold dough into sides of the pan, letting extra crust hang off the edge. Trim excess crust.
- Roll out remaining crust. Cut into 1" strips (for lattice pattern); leave strips on a large plate lined with parchment paper. Place the plate and crust shell, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Just before 30 minutes is up, whisk the egg and water in a small bowl until combined. Remove pie shell and lattice from refrigerator.
- Pour filling into pie shell and arrange the lattice strips on top (in lattice pattern). Use your thumbs to press the edges of the crust and lattice strips together and cut off any excess crust. Brush tops of lattice strips with egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar in the raw. Set egg mixture aside.
- Place pie on second-lowest rack of oven; bake for 1 hour 30 minutes, lightly brushing surface of pie with more egg mixture at 45-minute mark. If you notice edges of crust browning too quickly, cover them with aluminum foil. Remove pie from oven and allow to cool 45 to 60 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from WithTheGrains.com
This pie is delicious when served with vanilla bean ice cream drizzled with Black Cherry balsamic vinegar!