FOR THE BALSAMIC JAM:
6 medium-large tomatoes
2 T of The Olive Bin's Herbes de Provence Olive Oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T of The Olive Bin's Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar (Seasonal)
2 tsp brown sugar
FOR THE CREPES:
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C milk
3/4 C water
3/4 T (plus a little more for cooking) of The Olive Bin's Butter Olive Oil
1/4 tsp salt
FOR THE FILLING:
1 T of The Olive Bin's Herbes de Provence Olive Oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small red onion
2 C mushrooms, sliced
4 C baby spinach
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 C soft goat cheese, crumbled
Spinach & Mushroom Crepes with Balsamic-Tomato Jam
FOR THE BALSAMIC JAM:
- To make the jam, skin tomatoes. (Place tomatoes in large bowl, pour boiling water over top of tomatoes, making sure tomatoes are fully immersed, and let them sit for 30-45 seconds. Carefully drain tomatoes, and slip skin off.) Dice skinned tomatoes, and set aside in medium bowl.
- Heat the 2 T olive oil in small saucepan over medium-low heat; add the onion and garlic, and cook gently until softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining tomato jam ingredients to saucepan; stir, and simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes while preparing the crepes and filling. At the end, all liquid should have evaporated, and a sticky jam will be left.
- To prepare crepes, combine all crepe ingredients in blender; blend just until mixed, and let batter stand for approximately 15 minutes to thicken.
- Pour small amount of Butter olive oil on 8" frying pan over medium heat, and swirl so pan is evenly greased. Pour a little batter into pan and swirl around so batter covers bottom of pan in thin layer. Cook for approximately one minute, until batter is set and golden brown on one side; flip and cook second side until golden brown.
- Repeat until all batter is used, making approximately 12 crepes. Keep crepes warm in oven (approximately 200 degrees F).
- Meanwhile, make filling by heating 1 T olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat; add onion and fry for a few minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for a minute more. Add sliced mushrooms to pan and saute for about 3 minutes, until cooked but not too soft. Add thyme and spinach; allow spinach to wilt in pan while gently stirring. (If filling is ready long before crepes and jam, set aside and reheat in microwave or pan before serving.)
- When jam and filling are ready, take one crepe, place a few spoonfuls of spinach and mushroom filling in middle, top with a little goat cheese, and roll up. Do with remaining crepes. Drizzle with tomato jam, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from EmmasLittleKitchen.com