1. Cook pasta according to directions.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the diced bacon to a crisp. Remove bacon to a plate. Pour off all but 1 T. of bacon grease.
3. Season the chicken on both sides liberally with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil to the pan and place back on heat.
4. Saute the chicken for a few minutes until golden brown on both sides. Remove to a plate.
5. Add onions to the drippings in the pan. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions become a soft golden brown. Add the mushrooms and saute for approximately 3 more minutes until the mushrooms are browned and slightly caramelized.
6. Add the thyme and balsamic to the mushrooms and onions, de-glazing the pan by scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Cook to reduce for 1 minute. Add the cream and stir to combine. Add the bacon and chicken. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for another 2 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens. Season generously with salt and pepper. Serve over pasta.